Parish Planning Council Notes

Archives - November 2016

Parish Planning Council Notes 11/15/16

November 26, 2016
By Steve Berman

Parish Planning Committee - November 15, 2016

Attending: Dann Keiser, Pastor French, Bill Crum, Jake Rogers, Candace Shaffer, Mark Bunton, Russ Shoemaker, Christopher Rowan, Ben Schoon, Steve Berman

I. Opening Prayer and Devotions
a. Opening Prayer by Pastor French. Candace Shaffer, Board of Christian Education Chair, led the Devotions: Psalm 139 and from Matthew Chapter 6.
 
II. Approval of October 2016 meeting minutes - Motion to approve by Pastor French, Seconded by Mark Bunton. All was in favor, approved.
 
III. Unsung Servants - Jeff Baumgarn for his service as Chair, Board of Parish Education and for our Sunday school program. Reformation Committee for their great work on the Reformation Luncheon - Barb Francis, Eunice Maurer, Bob Nixon, Steve Ulrich, Michele Ulrich, Grace Gillespie, Amanda Goodspeed, Nancy Sattler, and Chris Rowan. Thanks to Janet Hession for her great work on the Reformation luncheon.
 
IV. New Business
a. Pastor Heckert - Installation & responsibilities
  • Pastor French traveling to Wisconsin to attend the ordination of Peter Heckert on Saturday, November 19.
  • Installation Service scheduled for Sunday, December 4 at 3:30 p.m. Potluck Dinner to follow in the cafeteria. Asking congregation to bring side dishes.
  • Pastor French believes Peter should assume his responsibilities as fully as possible. Pastor French to assign Boards.
b. Vice President Replacement
  • Discussion ensued about how much time remains on the current term (until June),  recommendations from PPC, nomination(s) from Voters and having the position remain vacant until filled.
c. Ministry Action Team - Dann Keiser presented an objective and time table for PPC to consider and discuss:
  • Objective - Prayerfully seek God's direction for St. James to grow and expand the congregation that we may better spread the Gospel.
  • Dann posed some questions 1) How do we keep members? 2) How do we activate the inactive? 3) How do we bring in new members?) that would drive and direct the work of the Ministry Action Team. This generated the sharing of ideas from PPC.
  • Time Table
    • Start in January meet weekly or biweekly
    • Discuss at April Voters meeting, with questionnaire for member input
    • Present recommendation at June Voters meeting
  • Dann spoke about opening up the opportunity to volunteer/serve on the Ministry Action Team at the November 20th Voters meeting.
d. Church Financial Audit
  • There was discussion about what we want to learn and why and review of options from Huth Thompson quote:
    • Full certified audit - $10,000 - $12,000
    • Review Engagement - $8,000 - $10,000
    • Compilation Engagement - $3,000 - $5,000
    • Procedure Engagement $1,000
  • Consult Kathy Cowans regarding a recommendation
e. Budget Issues
  • Review of budget, expected and actual numbers
  • Out of cash flow problem. Strong positive balance
  • Income
    • Childcare income includes both childcare and tuition. Childcare about $2,000 less per week due to partial days not full days
  • Expenses
    • Discussion of Church Staff Wages, Child Care Staff Wages and Health plan adjustments
f. Voters Meeting 11/20/16
  • Overview of Voters Meeting to begin at 12:15 p.m. Lunch to be served.
V. Old Business
a. Protecting Our Ministry - Constitution review - Bill Crum reported that revisions are being worked on to share with the Committee.
b. Business Manager & financial methods/Line of Credit policies
Status update on financial methods - in process. Brief discussion regarding Chase/other bank(s) with respect to fees and liability matters.
 
VI. Pastor's Report - Pastor French
a. No report - preparing for funeral.
 
VII. Board of Elders - Bill Crum
a. Sunday Service Update
  • The Board of Elders is working with the Board of Parish Education to assist in the unlocking and locking of the Sunday School rooms. Help may be needed to double-check the rooms and lower hallway is being locked/unlocked as expected as we adjust to this new responsibility.
b. Funeral Services
  • It has been requested that the church office share the funeral schedule by placing it on the calendar, notifying the social media outlets of the congregation and to notify the chair of the Board of Elders for further distribution and to encourage attendance or serving as an usher.
  • Discussion on the importance of having our people there to support the congregational family.
c. Worship Notes
  • The Christmas Eve schedule is planned to be the same as last year. A concern has been mentioned regarding who will lead the early service with the live nativity. One possibility is to see what willingness the new Associate Pastor might have in leading this service. Grott's will handle the animals.
d. Worship Attendance
  • Reformation Service on October 30th was well attended. 75 at 6:00p.m., 209 at 8:00a.m., 149 at 10:30a.m. - Total attendance 433. Three hundred twenty-two communed.
VIII. Principals Report - Jake Rogers
a. Total School House 252 Students 154 (K-8) + 98 (In, Td, Pre-school & Pre-K)
b. Happenings at St. James Lutheran School
  • New Community School - closes December 31st.
    • Julie Grott and Jake Rogers went to the school fair on Thursday, November 10 to present information about our school to potential new families. Tours are being scheduled with new families. Out of those who were talked to, two families are coming in for tours.
  • Hot Lunch
    • We are grateful for the help of Anna Buess, Angela Guyer, Pat Koning, Tina Parker and Samantha Cochran for helping our Assistant Cook, Deb Bechner with our Hot Lunch Program. Rhonda Moya is slated to start as Head Cook on December 1. Thank you to everyone who has helped out in the kitchen.
  • School Service Project
    • Students have been collecting for Operation Christmas Child and our Food Pantry during the month of November. Shoeboxes last year totaled 50; this year, so far, we have 78. We are partnering with Grace Lutheran and will drop off our showboxes to them on Wednesday. Thank you to the students, families and members of the congregation who brought in items
  • Church Attendance/Evangelism
    • Data was collected on our School House (EC -101 and School -155) on where  students (families) have identified as their church home:
      • Operating LCMS 57% K-8, 37% EC
      • Other LCMS 6% K-8, 7% EC
      • Other Lutheran 0% K-8, 0% EC
      • Non-Lutheran 24% K-8, 20% EC
      • No Church Home 13% K-8, 37% EC
    • Discussion on the scope of the evangelism opportunity - Church and School, Board of Elders, Evangelism, etc.
  • Upcoming Dates
    • 11/17 - Social Studies Fair, Gr. 1,3,5,7; 6:00p.m.
    • 11/23 - Thanksgiving Service, 7:00p.m.
    • 12/2 - Christmas Program, K-3, 6:00p.m.
    • 12/6-8 - Christmas Shoppe (PTL)
    • 12/9 - Jesus' Birthday Party, 9:00am. - 11:00a.m.
    • 12/9 - 10 - SJS Girls Basketball Tourney
    • 12/14 - Lessons & Carols, Gr. 4-8, 6:00p.m.
    • 12/16 - PTL Teacher & Staff Appreciation Luncheon
    • 12/31 - Crusader Shootout
IX. Board of Christian Education - Candace Shaffer
a. No report
 
X. Board of Youth - Karrie Tarter (absent)
a. Look for volunteers to help support. Staffing of DCE position several months out.
 
XI. Board of Parish Education - Vacant
a. Stephanie Fahler lining up cafeteria class
 
XII. Board of Human Resources - Mark Bunton
a. No report
 
XIII. Board of Evangelism - Jerry Ripke (absent)
a. Good turnout at International Thanksgiving - approximately 90 international attendees and 120 in total. Good opportunity to share why we have Thanksgiving.
 
XIV. Board of Church Properties - Russ Shoemaker
a. Summer Projects List
  • Bus Stop Shelter on 9th street to be installed in December - waiting for CityBus to get Shelter in.
    • Board prepped site for pour of concrete - Contractor to pour in November
    • This project is self-funded - no cost to congregation
  • Food Pantry
    • Contractor work completed - North wall Mural has started. Anticipate finishing by November.
  • Sanctuary Exterior Repair - revised quote spring 2016 $47,820.
  • Received Gothshall re-negotiated quote cost $45,060
  • Board of Church Properties previously discussed Gothshall latest quote and approved bid pending Century of Faith approving money. Brief discussion with Ben Schoon that quote meets the budget requirement.
b. HVAC System - Need electricians to provide more information
c.Board of Church Properties has had continued discussion on pulling Church Pew project ahead of Sanctuary Restoration Project and HVAC project
d. New Sanctuary Pews Project
  • Need additional quotes (visit Stockwell Church - see new pews?)
  • Need updated quote from Imperial Woodworks, Inc.
e. Hinshaw Roofing Quote
  • Pre-School lower roof replacement - cost $24,900
    • Approx. $4,000 was spent to patch and tuck point areas in need
    • Repairs to roof this past summer has seemed to stop leaks
  • Fellowship Hall roof replacement - cost $18,600
    • Board of Church Properties quoting contractor "Terry Rayborn" for a repair of roof to extend roof life based on an estimate of remaining life with repairs.
f. New Fire Alarm System billing was received and scheduled to be paid through funds raised at 2016 Dutch Auction - final cost is $37,400
  • New Gym Fire Alarm System - Cost $10,856
  • School/Church Fire Alarm System - Cost $26,544
g. Parking Lot
  • Excellent job on parking lot project - no cost to the congregation. Thanks to Jake Rogers for working around the project work.
XV. Board of Stewardship - Christopher Rowan
a. Positive feedback from the local community regarding the Truck or Treat event.
 
XVI. Financial Report - Ben Schoon
a. No report - covered in New Business
 
XVII. Presidents Report - Dann Keiser
a. No report
 
XVIII. Other
a. After some discussion Dann reported that next months meeting will be a social meeting to be held on December 13th at 6:00p.m.
 
b. Pastor French moved to adjourn, the motion was seconded and approved. Pastor French closed with prayer.
 
Respectfully submitted by Steve Berman

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 
 
 

 

 

 
 

 

 

 

               
 

 

 

 

 
 

 

 

Parish Planning Council Notes October 18 2016

November 23, 2016
By Steve Berman

Parish Planning Committee – October 18, 2016

Attending: Dann Keiser, Pastor French, Bill Crum, Jake Rogers, Candace Shaffer, Jeff Baumgarn, Jerry Ripke, Russ Shoemaker, Christopher Rowan, Ben Schoon, Steve Berman

I. Opening Prayer & Devotions
a. Opening Prayer by Pastor French. Bill Crum, Board of Elders Chair, led the Devotions.   Today’s Reading: Luke 10:1-9. Daily Lectionary: Deuteronomy 17: 1-20; Matthew 14: 1-21.

II. Approval of September 2016 meeting minutes – Pastor French identified an error under New Business/Cash flow issues and policies and Russ Shoemaker identified an error under Board of Church Properties/Food Pantry. Motion to approve as amended by Dann Keiser and Pastor French seconded. All was in favor, approved.

III. Unsung Servant – Mindy Schlotman, Ashley Northington, Starlah Smith and Julie Grott for stepping in during Nola Hecht’s absence. All was in favor, approved. Pastor French described he received a recommendation that the Unsung Servant agenda item indicate specifically who is identified. Board Secretary, Steve Berman took note of the recommendation for future PPC minutes.

IV. New Business
a. Line of Credit policies
  • Dann Keiser indicated that the line of credit policies are in effect. Steve Strauch, District Vice President, LCEF helped with this process.
  • Need to set amount limits and setup policies on reporting. Board of Finance to make recommendations on protocol and limits.

b. Business Manager and financial methods

  • Brief discussion regarding internal controls
  • Discussion on communicating financial activity to the congregation. Publish in Bulletin:

                1. If line of credit is used
                2. Weekly offerings. Run a week behind in order to capture electronic offerings.

c. Planning Committee

  • Dann Keiser described this committee would be a group to look at the future of the Church, how we grow and ministry opportunities. There was a fair amount of discussion including the forming of the committee, the work process, importance of the planning committee to work in concert with the Boards and a timeline for results. Discussion results include:
                 1. The planning committee should be identified as “Ministry Action Team”
                 2. Dann Keiser will make a recommendation of a baseline vision statement, charge 
                     for the Ministry Action Team and a time limit for their work at the next PPC
                     meeting.
d. Audit
  • Quotes are coming in. There was discussion on how far back the audit should go. No Board action was taken.
V. Old Business
a. Protecting Our Ministry – Constitutional review
  • Three people met at last meeting (Bill Crum, Michael O’Donnell and Mark Bowman) to discuss the constitution and by-laws of the congregation as it relates to the Protecting Your Ministry document that was released by the synod in collaboration with the Alliance Defending Freedom.
  • The CCM (Commission on Constitutional Matters) has released recommendations for congregations in regards to the composition of their constitution and by-laws.
  • The current governing constitution and by-laws will be compared with the recommendations from these documents to determine those amendments that would be most beneficial while attempting to minimize whole sale changes.
  • This may be an opportune time to update language, processes and duplicate language in the documents without changing the meaning or intent of the current articles. – Such as Property Use policy and change of budget approval from January to June.
  • Board of Christian Education in cooperation with the Principal will need to review their own handbook and other publications for potential changes. The Board of Human Resources will face a similar task given recommended updates to policies related to condition of employment.
  • The synod recommends brevity as policies, updates and revisions are considered.
  • Bill Crum mentioned the importance of consistent application of policy
b. Call Process
  • Peter and Hannah Heckert were in town this weekend. Pastor French explained that a call service/ceremony would be held on October 28 and then estimated that the Service of Ordination would be the first week of November and then Installed at St. James the second week of November.
c. DCE Position
  • Brief discussion that the direction of the DCE Position can be part of the Ministry Action Team’s work.
VI. Pastor’s Report – Pastor French
a. Communion at all services for Reformation weekend.
b. Six hospital visits, 2 shut ins, 7 counseling and 4 walk ins

VII. Board of Elders – Bill Crum
a. Worship Attendance

  • September 4 (Labor Day) total attendance – 259, # Communed - 155
  • September 11 total attendance – 312, # Communed - 88
  • September 18 total attendance – 342, # Communed - 131
  • September 25 total attendance – 310, # Communed - 109
  • September 25 YTD Sunday Average – 364

VIII. Principal’s Report – Jake Rogers
a. Total School House 238 students 156 (K-8) + 97 (In, Td, Pre-school & Pre-K)
b. Happenings at St. James Lutheran School

  • Fall Break/Professional Development
                   1. Faculty did not go to LEA due to financial restrictions, however, we did have                              professional development at "home".
                   2. Jake presented on Data-Driven Instruction, Amanda presented on New Data
                       offered throughSTAR/Accelerated Reader Program, and Kris presented on
                       Implementation of Google Classroom.
                   3. Need to schedule PD for new math curriculum (which we paid for) and our new
                       formative assessment for this year. AimsWeb+.
 
  • Hot Lunch
                   1. Need personnel for our hot lunch program. Move program from PTL to School 
                       side of responsibilities?
  • School Service Project
                   1. Along with collecting for PTL classroom baskets, students are also asked to 
                       collect for Operation Christmas Child, a program of providing Christmas
                       presents in poverty and war stricken countries around the world.
 
  • First and 2nd graders musical – “David and the Giants” and 5th-8th graders for their Fall Concert
                   1. Great Job by everyone!
                   2. School will now start to transition into the Christmas program prep for
                       December and Fall/Winter sports
 
  • Upcoming dates
                   1. 10/20 & 24 – Parent/Teacher Conferences, 3:20-8:00p
                   2. 10/21 – Pumpkin Patch, 9-11a
                   3. 10/28 – Grandparent’s Day, Grades K-8, 12:45p
                   4. 11/6 – PTL Carnival (change of date), 1-5p
                   5. 11/17 – Social Studies Fair, Gr. 1,3,5,7; 6p

IX. Board of Christian Education - Candace Shaffer
a. Discussed with Board of Elders status of call for Music Director Amanda Goodspeed

X. Board of Youth – Karrie Tarter (absent)
a. Brief discussion on peaceful release motion of DCE position

XI. Board of Parish Education - Jeff Baumgarn
a. Karrie Tarter needs a key fob
b. Need a Sunday School Superintendent

XII. Board of Human Resources – Mark Bunton (absent)
a. No report

XIII. Board of Evangelism – Jerry Ripke
a. Trunk or Treat 10/23/16  2:45 – 5:00p
  • Program is coming right along. Expect 500.
  • Three gates need to be manned. Need 4 more volunteers
  • Need to cover the Arch books $350 for 200 to be given out. Only 5 were left over last year.
  • Would like 20 trunks to participate
b. International Thanksgiving Dinner 11/12/16
  • Expect 80-100 international students/families
  • Word is out at all the LCMS churches requesting food, cash and/or time
  • Requesting help to make program a success – setup, take down
c. Nametag Report
  • Encourage others to wear name tags
  • Wear name tags at events
  • Good idea to wear name tags to help the new Pastor get to know the congregation

XIV. Board of Church Properties - Russ Shoemaker
a. Status Summer Projects

  • Bus Stop Shelter

                  1. Ordered 10/6 – will arrive in 8 weeks
                  2. Discuss contractor for concrete slab – Steve Miller/Greg DePew
                            * Contractor from CityBus quoted too high. We will handle on our own
                  3. Russ working on permit with City of Lafayette

  • Food Pantry

                            * Contractor work is completed
                            * Mural work to be completed - Mural Artist is James Werner.

  • Sanctuary Exterior Repair – revised quote Spring 2016 $47,820

                   1. Revisit Gothshall on cost increase – original quote $38,720
                   2. Discuss revised quote estimated $43,270
                            * Status on new quote being received for approval?
                            * Estimated start date Spring 2017 of restoration work?

b. Sanctuary HVAC System

  • Board of Church Properties discussed Century of Faith Committee wanting to pull Pews project ahead of Sanctuary restoration project and HVAC project
                   1. Board of Church Properties made recommendation on what to do with HVAC                        project to Ben Schoon.
                   2. New Pews
                             * 2-20-14 quote cost $43,329 delivered and installed
                             * 38 pews 14’x6” long(note: existing pews are 15’ – 6”)
                             * Do we need kneelers – above quote does not split out kneeler cost
                             * If money is available when to install
                             * Need additional quotes – visit Stockwell-Church to see new pews

c. Hinshaw Roofing Quote
  • Pre-School lower roof replacement – cost $24,900
  • Fellowship Hall roof replacement – cost $18,600
  • Also looking at quote for repair
d. Century of Faith
  • Approximately $37,000 needed to meet $200,000 goal.
XV. Board of Stewardship - Christopher Rowan
a. Reformation Dinner is coming up (October 30th). Need side dishes.
b. Trunk or Treat – October 23rd
  • Need 5 more trunks
  • Opportunity to pass out Arch books and count people coming in
  • There will be a food truck and activities
XVI. Financial Report – Ben Schoon (absent)
  • Brief discussion regarding:
                   1. Budget
                              * Income – voucher deposit
                              * Computers and technology – Chromebooks
                   2. Balance Sheet
                              * Consolidation of designated funds list

XVII. President’s Report – Dann Keiser
a. No Report

XVIII. Other
a. Next meeting November 15, 2016. Board of Christian Education – Devotions

XIX. Closing Prayer by Pastor French

Respectfully submitted by Steve Berman

 

Search by Keyword(s):
(separate multiples with a comma)

Recent Posts

9/24/17 - By Steve Berman
8/20/17 - By Steve Berman
7/19/17 - By Steve Berman
6/26/17 - By Steve Berman
5/20/17 - By Steve Berman
4/22/17 - By Steve Berman
3/26/17 - By Steve Berman
2/25/17 - By Steve Berman
1/22/17 - By Steve Berman
11/26/16 - By Steve Berman

Archives