Parish Planning Committee - February 21, 2017
Attending: Dann Keiser, Pastor French, Pastor Heckert, Bill Crum, Jake Rogers, Candace Shaffer, Karrie Tarter, Jerry Ripke, Christopher Rowan, Ben Schoon, Steve Berman, Julie Grott
I. Opening Prayer & Devotions - Board of Human Resources
a. Opening prayer by Pastor French. No Devotions due to absence of Board of Human Resources Chair, Mark Bunton
II. Approval of January 2017 meeting minutes - Error identified under Section XVIII. Other: next meeting date. Motion to approve as amended by Ben Schoon and seconded by Chris Rowan. All was in favor and the motion passed.
III. Unsung Servants - Sue Harlow and the volunteers that helped with the basketball tournaments.
a. There was discussion on how to involve the congregation in the Unsung Servant nomination process. Plan to announce opportunity to congregation and Chis Rowan will create a nomination form to be placed on the church tab of the website.
IV. New Business
a. Board Meeting Schedule - Let Dann know of any changes
b. Board Issues
- Motion was made to add Mindy Schlotman as a check signer by Ben Schoon and was seconded by Pastor French. All was in favor, approved.
c. 2017-2018 Budget
- Dann Keiser mentioned to PPC to review their budget numbers and expenditures. Questions should be directed to Ben Schoon.
- Staff compensation and tuition identified as important budget items
- Budget update at April Voters meeting
V. Old Business
a. Protecting Our Ministry - Constitutional revisions - No updates
b. Ministry Action Team - Dann Keiser followed up on an email he previously sent to PPC regarding the Strategic Ministry Plan (SMP). He indicated that the Ministry Action Team has gone through the SMP and identified things that have been implemented. Dann requested that PPC:
1. Review the SMP with their board members and evaluate what items have been accomplished.
2. Update current ministry / missions and determine what resources are needed to accomplish goals.
3. Review and implement the Team Mapping concepts to expand the boards to get members to achieve goals.
- The Ministry Action Team continues to work on recommended changes to the Mission and Vision statements
- Next meeting February 28th
VI. Pastor's Report - Pastor French and Pastor Heckert
a. Pastor French - Getting ready for Lent. The theme is "The Salutary Gift". Ash Wednesday is on March 1st. All Lenten services are at 6:00 p.m.
b. Pastor Heckert - Adjusting well. Performing visitations and holding confirmation classes.
VII. Board of Elders - Bill Crum
a. Protecting Your Ministry - Constitution/By Laws Revisions - No update. Next meeting February 28th. Will be discussing plans for Easter and resume work on the By Laws.
b. Communion Bulletin and Worship Statement
- The statement on our beliefs related to communion in the weekly bulletin has been changed. You may have also noticed that before the start of a communion service that the pastor has been referring those worshiping with us to the statement with a welcome to visitors to join us at the altar but requesting that they cross their arms to receive a blessing rather than distribution of the bread and wine.
- It will be included on the agenda for the Board of Elders February meeting to discuss how a pastor-led study on communion could be offered yet this spring.
- If time permits the revisions (field test version) of the small catechism includes a section on communion.
- Note: The practice of close(d) communion—in our church the terms “close” and “closed” communion have been used synonymously—seeks to guard those who eat and drink in the Lord’s Supper from sinning against Christ’s body and blood or receiving it to their harm. At the same time this practice professes that those who partake of Christ’s body and blood together are united in the same teaching and confession.
c. Creating a Healthy Culture at St. James
- Article from Christianity Today was distributed and discussed
- One aspect of a healthy community is the desire to serve our neighbors in response to what Christ has done for us.
- Could the grades be paired and given a month each semester that is theirs to complete a service project? One option could be to help with the grounds at St. James. An administrative board of the congregation could be attached to each of these months to help connect the church with the school.
d. Orientation to School Families
- A required series of sessions on what children of school families from outside the LCMS will be exposed to in our religion classes and chapel program.
- Topics: Introduction to the Christian faith, the six chief parts of the catechism, and Lutheran Worship
- Offerings: During Sunday school hour when school children are singing at both services. Alternative evening sessions. Available during both semesters.
- Such a program would not replace an adult confirmation program but could serve as a place to encourage and invite those interested to take that next step to join the congregation.
VIII. Principals Report - Jake Rogers
a. Total School House = 268 students = 156 (Kdg - 8) + 112 In, Td, Pre-school & PreK)
b. Happenings at St. James Lutheran School
- 2nd Open House is Thursday, February 23 from 6:30-8:00pm. Board of Christian Education and Jake Rogers are starting to work through income & expenses for next year for budget planning and Choice School status.
- 45th Annual Boys Basketball Tournament was February 3-5. Boys team placed 4th, Girls cheerleading team placed 2nd. Congratulations to all who participated. Thanks to all who helped to make the tournament a success.
- ISTEP tests, Part 1 begins February 27
- Names are being gathered for a Call Committee for Randy Strakis's position due to his retirement. The Concordia system is experiencing low turnout numbers with high vacancies coming from the field. Jake asked PPC to consider praying that God would move the hearts and minds of His people to consider the Calling for church work.
- There was brief discussion on online advertising for the Open House on February 23 and Early Childhood Round Up on March 5.
IX. Board of Christian Education - Candace Shaffer
a. Working on Call Committee names for Randy Strakis's position.
X. Board of Youth - Karrie Tarter
a. No report
XI. Board of Parish Education - Vacant
a. Chris Rowan gave an update regarding the new Sunday School program starting on March 5. There will be a team approach. The grades between Pre-K and 8th will be broken up into groups with 4 teachers assigned to each group. This allows for the opportunity to have rotating teachers and helpers. The advantage to this approach is to avoid overwhelming people and providing scheduling options for each teaching team.
XII. Board of Human Resources - Mark Bunton (Absent)
a. No report
XIII. Board of Evangelism - Jerry Ripke
a. Want to get more board members. Need volunteers to go out and interact with and greet visitors.
b. Jerry spoke about introducing yourself to visitors and collect contact information.
c. Reminder to wear your nametag.
d. Will work on SMP over the next several meetings.
XIV. Board of Church Properties - Russ Shoemaker (Absent)
a. No report.
XV. Board of Stewardship - Christopher Rowan
a. Next potluck is February 26
b. Starting with the Ash Wednesday service on March 1 there will be book club discussing "Luther: Biography of a Reformer". Bob Nixon will lead this discussion. Sign up online so we know how many books to get.
c. Easter Extravaganza will be held on Palm Sunday. There will be games, crafts and stations setup so as you go through the stations you learn about Easter.
d. First Friday Fun Night - next event is March 3.
XVI. Financial Report - Ben Schoon
a. In general financial report looks good. Offerings and income are up. Dispersements are better than expected. Cash balance went up in January.
b. Chapel Designated Fund
- There was some discussion regarding a balance of about $2500 in the Chapel fund and how to bring it down. Pastor French made a motion to do a 100% match of offerings until depleted and the motion was seconded by Jake Rogers. All was in favor and the motion passed.
XVII. Presidents Report - Dann Keiser
a. Dann distributed the Slate of Officers and Board Members and requested that PPC check their slates. Pastor French asked that everyone pray regarding this and to remember those that have been serving a long time.
a. Next meeting March 21. Board of Evangelism - Devotions
XIX. Closing Prayer by Pastor Heckert.
Respectfully submitted by Steve Berman